Nude Lips for Brown Chicks

My personal mission in life (this year) is to find the best lip colors ever.  I’m a lipstick hoarder, I don’t think you can have enough shades (or makeup in general).  One of the most perfect looks for any woman will be the nude lip.  It gives you the option to do your makeup and style your look anyway you’d like to, with no restrictions.

Last month, I spent 70 hard earned dollars (and probably $10 worth of gas) to find a few great nude lip options to write about.  I tried a slew of shades, including lipsticks and glosses.  Of those, we’ve got NYX, Wet ‘N Wild, Flirt!, and that random Vitamin E brand. My major disappointment with many of them were how sheer they were. Sheer color is fine, but that means we’ll have to re-apply it 40 times a day. Who wants to do that?

I received some criticism about my staple nudes, MAC Underplay ($14.50, I heard it’s available in MAC Stores only and I’ve heard it’s discontinued, I have no idea) and Nars Honolulu Honey ($24). I raved over them and swore by them. Let’s keep it real folks, you get what you pay for, and I paid good money for them. They are very pigmented, long lasting, and look great. Call me picky, call me choosey, but I like what works best for me. The goal was to find lip colors that are similar, less expensive and easy to find. The reality is none of the lipsticks were as good, but some sure did come close. If I tried them all and said they were great and just as good as my staple shades, I’d be a liar.

TotalBeauty.com
Hot New Lipstick Shades for Fall

See what hues are hip for your lips this season

Hot New Lipstick Shades for Fall

This is a TotalBeauty.com lip makeup article

If you’re not a fan of bright colored lipstick, you’re in luck because this fall is about rocking understated or glam shades.

See lipsticks

Erin Baynham

My name is Erin Baynham, and I created Scandalous Beauty in December 2005. I love sharing my favorite makeup products! I'm a huge Orioles & Ravens fan and I have to have iced coffee everyday.

More Posts - Website

TwitterFacebookPinterestYouTube

Comments

1. 1kokogirl says

Please teach me how to contour my cheeks! What color are you wearing? Everything that I’ve found is either not dark enough or too dark. I am a NW45 in MAC.

Thanks!

2. 1kokogirl says

Please teach me how to contour my cheeks! What color are you wearing? Everything that I've found is either not dark enough or too dark. I am a NW45 in MAC.

Thanks!

3. Shanine115 says

I tried the NARS Honolulu Honey at Sephora and it looked as if I had eaten powedered donuts. It was a new tube, fresh out the box too. I did find success with MAC’s Honeyflower, though.

4. Shanine115 says

I tried the NARS Honolulu Honey at Sephora and it looked as if I had eaten powedered donuts. It was a new tube, fresh out the box too. I did find success with MAC's Honeyflower, though.

• scandalousbeauty says

Oh no! What lipliner and gloss did you use with it? I've never worn it by itself before for that reason!

5. anahdara says

i love how you did your eyes in this video! i’m going to try it!
    btw, what’s that awesome green you wore when you did your dark skin makeup rant video? maybe i missed it, but i couldn’t find the info in the usual places…

6. anahdara says

i love how you did your eyes in this video! i'm going to try it!
    btw, what's that awesome green you wore when you did your dark skin makeup rant video? maybe i missed it, but i couldn't find the info in the usual places…

7. Didi says

A nice nude lip for brown girls that I wear is MAC Chestnut lip liner, MAC Velvet Teddy lipstick, along with MAC Beaux lustreglass. For an inexpensive nude lip, try NYX Expresso lip liner, L’oreal Dune lipstick, along with L’oreal Soft Nude lipgloss (also, you may not need the lipstick b/c the lipgloss also looks cute by itself).

8. Didi says

A nice nude lip for brown girls that I wear is MAC Chestnut lip liner, MAC Velvet Teddy lipstick, along with MAC Beaux lustreglass. For an inexpensive nude lip, try NYX Expresso lip liner, L'oreal Dune lipstick, along with L'oreal Soft Nude lipgloss (also, you may not need the lipstick b/c the lipgloss also looks cute by itself).

9. Gina says

Erin, i always wonder why you never use high definition for your vids. It would add a more professional touch to it.

10. Gina says

• Erin Scandalous says

I finally got an HD camera, but it makes an evil noise as I record. I might look into other options though.

11. says

I just learned a new word, that can actually describe my obsession too, yes I am a lipstick hoarder as well. The thing is I get compulsive in buying lipsticks, there are times when I don’t even try it and ended up not liking it in the end.

12. says

13. April M M313 says

I’m so amazed to find your blog and see that you’re a dark skin woman with Locs!!! I follow another blog about makeup but I think I will enjoy yours more because we have a lot in common…. I love Starbucks and Apple products!! Thank you for showing to dark is beautiful and sexy!!! Great website too

14. April M M313 says