It had been 3 weeks since my first battle with sunburn (view my scabby skin here). For the sake of your stomach (and mine), I posted the more graphic pictures under the cut. I mean really, some of the pictures are full of detail, and really, really gross. Pictured here are a few other products that I’m using to take care of my skin now that the worst is over! I’ll describe them more as the post goes on.

sunburn of dark skin, african american

The day after I posted my first sunburn documentary, I woke up to this.

african american dark skin face peeling sunburn

Disgusting.

This is when I officially knew I had an issue.  I pretty much new it the day before, but this mess was the real deal. My face was absolutely peeling out of control. When I woke up, my face felt crusty and scabby. The dead skin was hard, and I was terrified I couldn’t get rid of it. After finding some articles online, I used Aveeno Smart Essentials Pure Purifying Face Wash on my face, let it sit for a few minutes, then sloughed off the skin with a wet wash cloth. I immediately felt like I was back with my Aveeno crew in Santa Monica! Ah, memories.

sunburn on african american skin

After I sloughed off the skin, this is what I was left with. It looked 1000% better! Well, it looked better than 20 minutes before. My skin felt leathery and you could tell that there was definitely damage. The issue was far from over. As the days went on, I got more scabby spots going up my face. There were scabs on my nose, between my brows, on my forehead. It was so bad. Scabbing and peeling went on for days!

3 weeks later, I still have dark spots in the worst areas. It’s so annoying. Most people say they don’t notice it, but of course I do. I’ve been covering it with a dab of Nutmeg Foundation from Black Opal. I used Juice Beauty’s for quite a while, but it expired! Kiehl’s sent me their Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution a while back, so I’m testing it out. So far, so good.

The hunt vigorusly began for the perfect sunscreen in my beauty closets. The one that particularly caught my eye was ExtraShade. It’s created for rich complexions, so no white masks are happening here! I also started using a new product to get rid of dark spots.

Here’s the lesson: Use sunscreen every freakin day! Just do it. Seriously.

20 Responses to Update: My Sunburn Still Looks Disgusting–Peeling, Dryness, Stinging and Dark Marks Galore

1. Sweet Heart June 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

Hey Erin, sunburn sucks, I had it on my back (I’m a cocoa sista too) and it took about 3 months to clear after I broke down and went to the derm. I was horrified! I know your anguish, but it will pass.

• ErinScandalous June 13, 2012 at 2:47 am #

OMG! THREE months?! That’s horrifying! Thanks for the info. : )

2. Sweet Heart June 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

• ErinScandalous June 12, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

OMG! THREE months?! That’s horrifying! Thanks for the info. : )

3. louise ramsey June 12, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

as a pale skin lady, moisture is your friend, daily sunscreen from now on. the dark spots will fade in time. i’m very sorry you are having to deal with this.

4. louise ramsey June 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

5. nicthommi June 13, 2012 at 2:08 am #

Where were you? I got sunburned in India. It took only a couple of weeks(I was there for 6) of neglecting to wear sunscreen (what I had made me look grey) to get it. Funnily enough, I thought I had caught something bad instead of thinking it was sunburn. My symptoms weren’t as bad as yours. I just peeled around my nose and it was painful and I admit to having a glorious mahogany color when all was said and done (we are about the same color). I looked like hell while there but my hair and skin were great when I got back.
    I’m used to getting summer/farmer’s tans but that took the cake. And I finally found a sunscreen that worked well on my face, and TRY to use some on my arms now too.

• ErinScandalous June 13, 2012 at 2:50 am #

That’s the funny part, i agree–I love my tan! My skin looks much more rich, I can’t get enough! But yeah, I totally get the peeling part, as you can see lol. I was at a baseball game, 3 hours of pure open sun. It was SO hot.

6. nicthommi June 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

• ErinScandalous June 12, 2012 at 10:50 pm #

7. JanelPorter June 13, 2012 at 3:09 am #

hey erin: i’m sooo sorry this has happened to you! the only suburn that i’ve had was when i worked my state fair as a program salesperson when i was 15–stationed at a gate with no shade, no shade, no shade! i was a real “crispy critter” for those two weeks–even my hair burnt and turned red! after the peeling (weeks of it), i was such a smooth dark chocolate sistah for a minute. loved the color but no thanks, ma’am to the drama to get there! hope it heals up at a record pace! blessings

8. JanelPorter June 12, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

9. Nicole Underdog Striggles June 13, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

oh damn erin!!! I feel your pain, a few years ago after spending hours in the sun and chlorine I too was sun burned, really bad… Across my chess, shoulder blades and my face. My chess healed fine, but my shoulder blades and face (particularly my nose) were like this. At the time I believed only white or fair people tanned and sun burned, after this day I learned a valuable lesson. LOL and to make things worst I didn’t even know how to treat a sun burn so I was salving on regular body lotion and baby powder… LOL!!! It was truly tragic. Have you tried Aloe Vera Gel?

• ErinScandalous July 22, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

I soooo wish I realized that aloe vera gel was the answer! I didn’t realize it until it was over!

10. Nicole Underdog Striggles June 13, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

11. Skin Care Advice June 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

You REALLY should’ve just been using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and Aloe Vera Juice with a little Philosophy Hope in a Jar on your skin following this sunburn. (This is what many dermatologists would recommend.) You’ve worsened the damage by using improper skincare items.

12. Skin Care Advice June 16, 2012 at 11:57 am #