In December 2005, I started a beauty blog.
Within the next 6 years, I had beauty albums (my intro to blogging), sub-blogs (The MAC Fetish–an ode to my addiction to MAC), forums, Youtube channels…you name it. I tried tons of things over the years to make my blog what I wanted it to be. Almost all of those things have failed.
Every so often, I look at my unfinished posts and at barely used makeup and think “What the hell am I doing?” There are times that I am so uninspired, so out of the loop, and plain old unsure of myself.
There’s SO much that I wish I knew about blogging. To this day, I read guides and blogging blogs all the time. In this guide, I’ll share what I’m learning, and all the crap I wish people told me.
This is an on-going series that will be edited constantly. Check in for new additions, links and suggestions.
Here’s some of that info:
1. It’s not a competition. There’s room for everyone.
2. Don’t waste your precious time worrying about what everyone else is doing. Do you. Sure, it’s great to get inspiration from others, but don’t try to be them. If you don’t like they way your blog is going, change it.
3. Beauty blogs need images. The more, the better. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read beauty blogs that talk about a product and don’t show me the product. What the–?? If you’re telling me about a gloss, let me see the gloss! Sheesh.
4. Creating different blogs for different topics isn’t always the best idea-you have to grow a whole new following. I’m still teaching myself that lesson. Like, right this second.
5. When you’re not in the mood to blog, don’t force it. Trust me, I’ve forced posts. They are crappy, and usually your readers can tell.
Here are bunch of other posts that I’ve written about beauty blogging. All of them are my opinions. Follow if you’d like, try if you’d like.
So, You Want to Start a Beauty Blog?
- 4 Things To Consider Before Starting Your Beauty Blog
- My Foundation for Blogging: Why I Started Scandalous Beauty
The Blogging Process
- 30 Topics and Ideas to Discuss on your Beauty Blog
- 5 Ways To Bring More Traffic To Your Blog
- The Comment Challenge
- Why I Left Blogger for Self-Hosted WordPress + 5 Plugins That Make My Blog A Supermachine
Making Money From Your Job, and Getting Free Stuff
Social Media & Blogging: Birds of a Feather
Miscellaneous Awesome Info
- Independent Fashion Bloggers Conference Notes ’10
- The Bloggers Conference Checklist [And how to still be there without actually being there]
- 10 Really Amazing Things I Learned at the Independent Fashion Bloggers Conference
- Blog Webinar Resources
My Preferred Blogging Vendors:
[These are affiliate links]
Want to Make Your Blog Better? Review the 25 Day Challenge!
The 25 Days to a Better Beauty and Fashion Blog was a huge success! For 25 days, bloggers learned different tips and techniques t0 strenghten and grow their blogs. Here are the first few topics. Be sure to check out the main page for all 25 lessons!
Day 1: How To Write Better Blog Post Titles
Day 2: Organize your content: Categories, Tags and Pages
Day 3: Building Interaction on Your Blog: Polls, Ratings
Day 4: Build Your Readership with Bloglovin’
Day 5: Branding with Images: Favicons, Avatars
Day 6: Your Blog’s Archives: Don’t Let Them Forget Your Content
Day 7: Spice Up Your Comment Section: Platforms and Options
Day 8: 5 Tips to Make Your Photography Look Better
Day 9: Juice Up Your Footer: Your Last Chance to Hook Your Readers
Day 10: Make it Easy for Readers to Share Your Content
Day 11: Creating a Blogging Schedule
Day 12: Spread the Word: Your Blog’s Business Cards
Day 13: Ending A Blog Post–Use a Blog Signature
Day 14: Awesome Tools for Blogging
Day 15: Using Social Media to Get More Readers on Your Blog
Day 16: Using Tumblr to Increase Your Blog’s Readership
Day 17: Using Email Services to Keep Your Readers Involved
Day 18: Using Video To Boost Content (Why I’ve Been Dropped as a Youtube Partner)
Day 19: Your Personal Website or About Me Section: Brand Yourself!
Day 20: Don’t Let Your Older Posts Get Lost, Recycle It!
Day 21: Working With Brands: Approaching Them and Not-Selling Out To Your Readers
Day 22: Make Your Blog Easy To Read on Mobile Sites
Day 23: Creating a Blog Layout That You’ll Love
Day 24: Make Money From Your Site 24/7
Day 25: The Finale
Blog Revamp, 2013
Who’s ready to jump start and find tune their blog again? I sure am! Here’s how we’ll do this. This will be a much shorter 7 day challenge. Every day, we’ll tackle some of the things that stick out the most (to me), and questions that I get about blogging. This includes making newsletters, digging into social media, personalizing your blog with better images, and much more. The official date for the blog challenge is May 8th, 2013- May 15th, 2013. I’ll also be editing a few of the older posts that I created, and I’ll link those posts every day.
Are you in? Share your blog address below: